Rum is a Caribbean Tradition – Meet Brugal, One of the Oldest Rum Making Families
A Long Heritage of Rum Making in Puerto Plata
Brugal, is a DR rum family that has been been distilling for five generations. Beginning in 1888 with founder Don Andres Brugal Montaner, Brugal got its start in our area of Puerto Plata. Don Andres set out to create the perfect rum and his belief and passion created a legacy. The first aged rum was created in 1920 with a succession of artful products that continues to this day. Brugal rum is exported out of the DR and is now the #1 rum brand in Spain.
Some interesting rum making facts from Brugal’s website:
- Brugal guards its family rum making recipes closely – they are known only by a privileged few and handed down from generation to generation.
- Rum is distilled not once, but many times, making it the cleanest, purest spirit.
- Casks are hand picked by “Maestros Roneros” for the right type of character, age and provenance – only the best oak casks are used from ex-bourbon American to ex-sherry European.
- Rum matures for a minimum of two years.
- Warehouses are positioned north to south to make the most of the DR sun from morning to night, intensifying the aging process.
Nearly 130 years later, rum is still crafted by the Brugal Family – only family members can become a ‘Maestro Ronero’ (master rum maker). Jassil and Gustavo, 5th generation Brugal family members, now hold that honor.
In 2008, Brugal merged with Scottish company Edrington and added even more to the brand. In 2013, Brugal launched its first super premium rum, Papa Andres which was awarded World’s Best Super Premium Rum.
You can take a tour of Brugal’s bottling factory in Puerto Plata. A 30-minute tour costs $3 US and includes samples.
Click here for some great rum drink recipes from Brugal’s website.
We are standing by...
Our experienced team has more than 20-years of DR real estate experience. We are here to help you find out if the DR is the place for you.
Join us in as we take you through living in the DR…for real!
More Great DR Info:
Things to Watch Out For When Buying Foreign Property
Find out the pitfalls and questions marks. What you need to be careful of.
Dominican Republic Real Estate Buying Process
How does it all work? Is it the same as North America? Do you need to know Spanish? Find out…
Video Buyer's Guide Series
See it instead of reading it! Great informaton about DR real estate and life in a video series.